Please Note: New social media accounts (including TikTok accounts) fall under Western's New Social Media process, in partnership with your Communications Officer and the Department of Communications & Public Affairs.
- Western has an official account on TikTok, under the username @westernuniversity.
- Our strategy for this platform is currently a work in progress. Interested community members are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org and participate in our visioning and strategy.
- Questions about TikTok at Western University can be directed to email@example.com. you
can also contact this address to pitch content for the @westernuniversity account.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social network for amateur music videos (users can make their own as well
as just watch everyone else’s).
- TikTok has 500 million active users (1.5 billion total users).
- TikTok has surged in popularity since 2018 – consistently in the top 10 most
downloaded apps in the App Store.
- 66% of users are younger than 30.
- 29% of monthly users open TikTok everyday.
- Users typically spend 52 minutes per day on TikTok – comparable to the time
spent by users on other social apps (53 mins/day on Instagram, 58 mins on
Facebook, 49.5 mins on Snapchat).
How long are TikTok Videos?
The upper limit for recording videos within the app is 15 seconds, but users can string
those clips together to make videos of up to 60 seconds long. Users also have the
option of uploading longer videos that were not recorded within the app.
What do people do on TikTok?
Lip-synching, dancing, and movement-based activities (gymnastics, cheerleading,
parkour) are big on TikTok. Comedic videos are also popular.
- All videos are vertical oriented.
- Videos are sharp (in focus) and good quality (not pixelated or distorted).
- You can add hashtags to the captions of TikTok videos.
- You can “like” others’ videos by tapping the heart button on the right side of
videos. You can also view comments and share videos to other platforms here.
To do our best to honour copyright and content ownership, Western's TikTok account must select songs with song titles, artists and cover artwork that match the artist's
official listings on either iTunes or Spotify.
Content on Western’s TikTok account stays within what would be considered a ‘G’
Our strategy for this platform is currently a work in progress. Interested community
members are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org and participate in our visioning and