Hootsuite is the primary social media monitoring, publishing, customer service & reporting tool for Western University. Almost 50 teams across campus use Hootsuite to monitor social media accounts and conversations; create, schedule and publish social media content and provide reporting on their social media work.
Teams can also redirect messages to each other within the tool, to easily get individuals connected with answers and support. For example, a question about how to apply received by the Engineering Twitter account can be transferred behind the scenes to the Admissions Team for a response.
To join Hootsuite, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Western's Hootsuite Network
The following teams currently use the Hootsuite platform:
- Faculty of Arts & Humanities
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Music
- Ivey Business School
- Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
- Department of Family Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Propel Entrepreneurship
- Continuing Studies
- Department of Admissions
- Department of Alumni Relations
- The Book Store
- Department of Community & Media Relations
- Department of Facilities Management
- Department of Housing
- Department of Hospitality Services
- Department of Marketing
- Student Central/Office of the Registrar
- Department of Student Services
- Department of Recruitment
- Western Libraries
- Western Mustangs
- Huron University College
- King's University College
To learn more about the features of this tool, you can visit the Hootsuite Enterprise website.
Social Media teams at Western are asked to complete the following process each weekday morning and afternoon:
- Review Scheduled Content
- Complete Tasks
- Zero Inbox
- Check Feeds
Staff can access a detailed guide to this Daily Process.
Refer to Western's Social Media style guide when drafting content for any accounts that are affiliated with the University.
Our Social Media cheat sheet keeps track of how to handle each type of message received via Twitter or Facebook, as well as which accounts and hashtags are used for each topic.
Support & Training
For technical support with Hoosuite, please contact email@example.com.
All staff, students & faculty at Western that use Sprout Social are required to complete the training listed on Western's Social Media Training & Resources page.
Sprout Social can be used on a desktop or laptop computer via hootsuite.com, as well as on iOS (Apple) and Android devices.
The Sprout Social mobile applications can be downloaded from the Hootsuite website, or you can search for Hootsuite in your phone's application directory or store.
Hootsuite reports will start tracking on the date your team or department is added to the software, and may have historical data if you have previously collaborated with our Hootsuite project.
Take a few minutes to set up your competitor and comparator accounts into the Twitter Comparison section under Reports. This will trigger Hootsuite to start collecting helpful data about these competitors and comparators, as well as your own accounts - which you might want in the future.
Easily share news articles and web links on your social media accounts with the Hootlet or the Hootsuite Browser Extensions.
Subscribe to RSS Feeds from your favourite content and news sources and easily browse them in your Hootsuite streams.
- Click the Applications icon (puzzle piece) in the left menu bar of your Hootsuite Dashboard.
- Search for and install Hootsuite Syndicator Pro.
- Subscribe to the RSS feeds of your choice.
- Click the "play" icon to turn on the feeds.
A selection of RSS feeds from Western that you may wish to subscribe to:
- Western News: http://news.westernu.ca/feed
- Media Relations: http://mediarelations.uwo.ca/feed
- Alumni News: http://www.alumni.westernu.ca/system/rss/channel.jsp?feedID=452930218
- Mustangs News: http://westernmustangs.ca/common/controls/adhandler.aspx?ad_id=134&target=/rss.aspx
- Libraries News: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/news/feeds/wl.xml
Add to Desktop
Instructions for adding a Hootsuite icon to the dock of your Mac:
- Copy this image to your clipboard.
- Open hootsuite.com/dashboard in Safari.
- Click in the address bar.
- Click on the small Owl icon beside the URL, and drag it onto your desktop.
- Right click on your new desktop icon and go to Get Info.
- Click once on the icon in the top left corner.
- Paste the image to replace the default icon with the one that you copied.
- Close Get Info.
- Click and drag your new Hootsuite icon into the right side of your Dock (where bookmarks and network drives are located). It cannot be added to the left of the divider line.